Enter the Wonderful World of Swallowtail Butterflies

A number of years ago I planted an anise plant. I enjoy herb gardening and this was just part of it. Then I noticed little "things" which I believed to be caterpillars. I watched and soon discovered that the birds enjoyed eating them. I did some research and sure enough they were black swallowtail caterpillars. More research and the help of an online friend and and I started raising swallowtails.















I will share my knowledge, my methods, my photos and my Zazzle butterfly products with you on this blog. I will also invite other Zazzle friends to share their butterfly products of swallowtails and other butterfly species.







Black Swallow Tail

Black Swallow Tail

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Everyone a Cocoon



They have all entered the cocoon stage. Now that they have stopped moving I can get an accurate count and there are 8 cocoons. I have brought all of the cocoon containers out onto our back deck. I put them on the bottom shelf of a serving cart and wrapped netting around the cart as I unerstand birds and other critters like the cocoons for a meal. Ihope this will keep them safe and also allow some movement if they emerge while I'm not looking. I'll buy some plants for them to start off on today and then wait for them. If they stay in the cocoon for 10 days as I have read the first one should emerge around July 2nd so I'll be keeping a close watch.

The first photo is of one caterpillar that decided to cocoon on the outside of the container, not a spot I would have choosen. In the second shot one of the caterpillars choose the netting, that's not so bad, at least I could get a photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment