Enter the Wonderful World of Swallowtail Butterflies

A number of years ago I planted an anise plant. I enjoy herb gardening and this was just part of it. Then I noticed little "things" which I believed to be caterpillars. I watched and soon discovered that the birds enjoyed eating them. I did some research and sure enough they were black swallowtail caterpillars. More research and the help of an online friend and and I started raising swallowtails.















I will share my knowledge, my methods, my photos and my Zazzle butterfly products with you on this blog. I will also invite other Zazzle friends to share their butterfly products of swallowtails and other butterfly species.







Black Swallow Tail

Black Swallow Tail

Friday, June 17, 2011

Keeping them Contained



When the caterpillars get bigger and start getting ready to become a cocoon they start to look for a good spot and they travel. I would rather they stay in one spot. It's safer for them and easier for me. I am sure there are many different methods for keeping them contained. This one usually works for me. We took a container, turned it upside down & cut out the bottom (which is now the top. This way the previous top is straight and sits evenly on the floor. We drilled holes for ventilation and then covered the holes with screening putting it on the outside to prevent any sticking or cuts. Now I can easily access the caterpillars and when they start to travel I'll put sticks and branches in for them and will cover the top with netting so they can't get out.

No comments:

Post a Comment