Enter the Wonderful World of Swallowtail Butterflies

A number of years ago I planted an anise plant. I enjoy herb gardening and this was just part of it. Then I noticed little "things" which I believed to be caterpillars. I watched and soon discovered that the birds enjoyed eating them. I did some research and sure enough they were black swallowtail caterpillars. More research and the help of an online friend and and I started raising swallowtails.















I will share my knowledge, my methods, my photos and my Zazzle butterfly products with you on this blog. I will also invite other Zazzle friends to share their butterfly products of swallowtails and other butterfly species.







Black Swallow Tail

Black Swallow Tail

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Getting Big



This is a pretty neat shot. The caterpillar was on the bottom side of the anise so we can see his little white feet and how they hang on tight to the anise. The older caterpillars are getting quite big. Soon they will start to look for a place to go into the cocoon phase. This is the most difficultly time as they really search for a spot and just try to go all over the place. I hope I will be able to keep them in the box. I also hope they cocoon on one of the branches I have placed in the box. That way I can move them so the younger ones can complete their cycle with plenty of room.

No comments:

Post a Comment