Enter the Wonderful World of Swallowtail Butterflies

A number of years ago I planted an anise plant. I enjoy herb gardening and this was just part of it. Then I noticed little "things" which I believed to be caterpillars. I watched and soon discovered that the birds enjoyed eating them. I did some research and sure enough they were black swallowtail caterpillars. More research and the help of an online friend and and I started raising swallowtails.















I will share my knowledge, my methods, my photos and my Zazzle butterfly products with you on this blog. I will also invite other Zazzle friends to share their butterfly products of swallowtails and other butterfly species.







Black Swallow Tail

Black Swallow Tail

Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Nursery



The nursery at this point consists of three Chinese take out trays, a folded sheet of paper towel and the sprigs of anise that I found the "babies" on. Every few days I will change the paper towel and add a fresh sprig of anise to the trays. The caterpillars will move along and eventually end up on the fresh sprig. I then remove the older sprig or sprigs. I change the paper towel as necessary to keep things clean. Right now they are so small there is very little waste. I keep them in the kitchen because I enjoy watching them. You can almost see them grow. At this point you don't have to worry about them going anywhere or falling off the anise, they hang on tight and are staying with their food source.

No comments:

Post a Comment