Enter the Wonderful World of Swallowtail Butterflies

A number of years ago I planted an anise plant. I enjoy herb gardening and this was just part of it. Then I noticed little "things" which I believed to be caterpillars. I watched and soon discovered that the birds enjoyed eating them. I did some research and sure enough they were black swallowtail caterpillars. More research and the help of an online friend and and I started raising swallowtails.















I will share my knowledge, my methods, my photos and my Zazzle butterfly products with you on this blog. I will also invite other Zazzle friends to share their butterfly products of swallowtails and other butterfly species.







Black Swallow Tail

Black Swallow Tail

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Unexpected

We have fixed up a container to use for the caterpillars and I but it out on the porch. We had a bit of a dip in temperature and some rain and when I went out to check most of the littlest caterpillars had fallen off the anise. I took a guess and brought them inside where it is warmer, gave them some fresh anise and laid it on top of them. I went back in an hour to check and was very releaved to find all of the babies had climbed onto the anise and were eating. I think I'll keep the little ones inside for a few more days & give them a better chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment